Over 25,000 delicious quality boxes delivered in Medway
AUSTEN'S PREMIUM Veg Box Co.
Delivering exclusively to the Medway Towns...
In October 2015 we began delivering our first fruit and veg boxes using the same locally sourced produce we sell in our award winning farmshop, Austen's of Rochester.
Now, over 3 years later, we're busier than ever delivering great tasting boxes to the people of Medway through our veg box business Austen's Premium Veg Box Co.
Veg boxes have become a massive industry with over £160 million spent each year in the UK and for good reason. The desire for good healthy farm produce has grown rapidly and increasing numbers have grown tired of tasteless and insipid supermarket fruit and vegetables, grown for price and shape rather than flavour. There's something very pleasing about receiving a box full of fresh produce delivered to your door that the whole family can enjoy.
Unfortunately, as some of the giants and leaders of the industry have become bigger and bigger, with some preparing up to 30,000 boxes per week, many problems have arisen. It's impossible to maintain any form of quality because the sheer volume of scale means produce is often, but not always, several days old when you receive it making it insuperior and often past its best. Produce that would otherwise be bought in the UK is often brought in from abroad to satisfy volume or you often simply don't get what you've asked for or are expecting because there isn't enough available. The increasing use of franchises and agencies to pack the boxes means quality control is nowhere near as good as it could be and literally thrown together to meet deadlines and targets. The farms used are rarely local to you as it comes from different parts of the country and, if it is local, only one or two of the items in your box will be. It will also invariably have travelled hundreds of miles before it reaches you having been on the van for anything up to 2 days.
There are many smaller, more local veg box companies doing a fantastic job and we implore you to pay more consideration to using them, eat local and support local farms.
Below are some of the things that make us different:
* A high level of the seasonal contents in our boxes is local produce sourced from Kent farms. We're not adverse to providing popular staples such as citrus fruits and bananas etc because we all like them, but our boxes are very focused on local and seasonal produce.
* The maximum distance any of the local produce in our boxes will have travelled is 25 miles. Some we collect ourselves and some is delivered directly to us fresh daily.
* Every single item in our boxes is fresh in on the day it's delivered to you, most of our local seasonal produce has often been picked only the day before. Making our boxes as fresh as you will find anywhere.
* Every single box is packed by hand by Austen's staff at our award winning farmshop on the day it is delivered to you. It undergoes two inspections before it leaves which minimises the chance of insuperior produce being sent or mistakes being made. We of course are only human and we will rectify any errors immediately.
* The veg box pictures used on our website are of actual real live boxes that we have delivered recently and were taken prior to the boxes being sent. Not glossy pictures of artificially overflowing boxes that look great on the website but in reality bear no resemblance to what you receive.
* Our portion sizes are very generous and we carefully plan what goes into our boxes each week and always ensure there is a good variety of types, colours and nutritional mix avoiding repeating exactly the same contents each week.
* Every week we include both a savoury and sweet recipe selected by us which uses some of the contents of your box (available for download on this page). We also provide storage information to ensure you get the maximum life and value from your food, as well as confirming which parts of Kent your food has come from.
* We offer the ability to swop the odd item from time to time for something else of similar value, typically we offer one item per small box and two items per medium and large boxes if required.
* Refrigerated delivery is provided.